Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bb and Cc Week Highlights

Ok Blogger - Why are you messing with me? Why are you making my artwork sideways?? Boo!

Anyways! We also completed B and C week. So, let us review our combined letter week.

First - our focus on the letter Bb:

Can you tell these lovely kids are creating the letter B?

We adore our next door neighbors, and they joined us for much of our activities for Bb and Cc.

We read some great books together:


The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
The Runaway Bunny
Bear Snores On
Blueberries for Sal



We also read about St. Bernadette!



For our art study, we studied Thomas Eakins' The Champion Single Sculls (click here .). It had lots of detail to take note of, comment on, and with 4 involved kids, a great discussion on the possible story behind the picture. The kids actually made up their own story! See below for interpretations on the painting:

(I love the alligator addition to the painting lol!!)

Love the detail!

Love the vision!!

Love the dedication!!

 What was so great, was how so many ages were blending together to read, learn, narrate, and interpret together from our books to our art. Look at this next picture - what a GREAT picture of learning together!


Ages pictured - age 1, age 2, age 3, age 5, age 7 

Working on their paintings...






Letter Cc

We also jumped into the letter Cc. We attempted to get a picture of the kids making a C, but it just did not turn out right. LOL I need to see if my girls can re-attempt the letter.

We did more reading and acting out of stories.

Corduroy
Curious George
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Cat in the Hat

We also read about St. Catherine of Sienna!

Our art study for Cc was a segment (the Cat under the table) of the painting Joseph Interpreting the Dreams of His Fellow Prisoners ( here).



It was so great discussing this cat with kids of different ages, and I'm SO impressed with their interpretations. I really wish the pics would post correctly. Take note of the cat's facial expressions, and the children's interpretations:





I am BEYOND impressed!!!!!

I love what we are doing this summer!!!!!!!! Thank you Serendipity for all these ideas and lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!