Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Second Semester

I write this on the eve of the second semester. Our two weeks off have been WONDERFUL. It is amazing how a break can renew and refresh, and my hat is off to the Advent unit we did in December. It came at the perfect time with our family being hit hard with illnesses and it eased our learning efforts while sick, and of course feeding our souls and minds! 

Between major illness and the balancing of craft making, present making, and learning, our poor learning room/dining room took a real hit:




I had noticed as the fall semester sped along, that our current educational storage was not cutting it. I was using our buffet, which provides great storage - but has very heavy drawers and bending over in a tight space was just not working day to day. I was becoming a "stacker" again in my organizational skills. Also, I got lazy with our learning materials, and frequently allowed myself and Lovely to just stick things in the corner, as demonstrated above. Over time, it just affects the environment. So, for Christmas, I decided to attack it, and I love the result!! Consider the top pics the "BEFORE". Here is the AFTER:

A CLEAN Corner (and yes....it is the same corner, obviously I rearranged the china cabinet and got rid of the high chair)....and....


a CLEAN Table.....



 All because of that new piece of furniture you see in the upper right corner - our new homeschool cabinet!




I LOVE it. I love that it displays and hides lol. I love how Lovely and I can access things better, which just inspires us more, and I love that I can both organize, and stack (hehe!) peacefully, and the cabinet is located in the room we call our learning 'home base'.



The buffet now stores additional materials, stockpiles, and supplies. 

Did I say I was excited??! Bring on the second semester and renewed excitement and purpose! I wish everyone a good start this week as many of us return to schooling.

Many blessings!! Merry Christmas still!!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! It looks awesome! Would you like to come arrange mine now? I usually can visualize what I want to do when I reorganize/rearrange, but that school room is the one that just puzzles me. No matter how many times I make changes, it is NEVER just right. How about if I chuck it all & just bring our munchkins to your house for schooling? LOL!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. organization rocks! it looks beautiful. enjoy your "new" space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room looks wonderful, I'm so glad you found a piece of furniture that works well for you and Lovely. Happy Spring Semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I'm a stacker, too, so I totally appreciate the need to stop it before the stacks take over!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!