Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Rocky Adventures

Last Friday we took two field trips. We spent the morning at the historic home of a famous author, storyteller, and cartoonist and learned about folk tales with many members of our co-op group. I didn't get any pictures. I meant to, but I had to keep Valiant from running all over the property (I could not have a stroller).

When I saw how short that field trip was, I realized we had time to go to a Homeschool Day hosted at a local state park that had a quarry. So, we went and had a lovely picnic lunch by a grist mill and stream (SO nice to relax!!) and then checked out the old quarry. It is no longer used, but they have a great set up to talk about the process and lots of example cuts and such and studying the environment around a quarry. We had a lot of fun!

Studying the use of trains for carrying away the granite.

Lovely under the working train track bridge.

The quarry - no longer in use. So they had signposts and pictures and information!

Sitting on some old cut granite.

Valiant sleeping in class...hahah!

Lovely by some examples of granite in a rough cut, polished cut, etc.

some old stone cut for curbs....I see this in my neighborhood! Also a headstone cut

I enjoyed that more than I imagined I would, and Lovely really did! She loved seeing the different cuts and the whole process. It was neat to read the history and see the hard work.

Two more great field trips!!! Gorgeous weather! I love learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!