Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Friday, July 23, 2010

I'm REALLY doing this?

I can't believe I'm thinking what I'm thinking. I can't believe I'm doing what I've been doing lately to prepare. I can't believe August is almost here, 1st grade is almost here for our eldest, and that I'm recording my thoughts here on this new blog - about HOME SCHOOLING. We're homeschooling!!! Oh wow!!

If you had asked me about this 3-4 years ago, I would have laughed you off. Four years ago I was teaching high school at a Catholic high school and loving the atmosphere. I love school...notebooks, sharpened pencils, erasers, colored pencils and marker cases. School, school(s), are fantastic!! But, I've been learning in the last few years schooling can happen anywhere, and that excitement grow anywhere - even in the home.

Three years ago I witnessed homeschooling in my own home. One of my wonderful friends who had been homeschooling for years (I supported her 100% but thought it was never for us and laughed when she tried to convince me to think about it ) came to visit for a week, and brought her kids and their learning materials with them. I was able to watch them work together, look at her materials...and...the wheels in my head starting turning.

I made a flippant remark to Hubby about homeschooling, fully expecting him to chuckle too. To my surprise, he LOVED the idea of homeschooling. WHAT? Really? My Husband? I kept telling him "but what about Lovely and any future kids being socialized?" He reminded me my early years in school were mostly learning only, and my pals were in my extra curricular activities and music and I turned out beautifully. He was so spot on, I was rendered speechless LOL!! That was true! My wheels turned more. I then learned my next door neighbor/turned friend had future plans to homeschool her kids, and THEN I learned my church has a strong and bustling homeschool co-op. I then realized I was seeing REAL signs. I had something to pray about and research.

I love the idea of PreK, and Kindergarten (and yes, school). Being a certified teacher in grades 7-12 made me feel less confident to teaching the really young child the fundamentals - and Lovely was in PreK - so I decided I'd keep working on our plan while she finished PreK. The more I read, witnessed, and learned about homeschooling, the more I felt called to it. In talking to Hubby, we felt like we could be a homeschooling family - supporting each other on the journey. We had another daughter (Valiant) her last year of PreK, and Kindergarten seemed to be a good fit for Lovely. She could learn the basics and get to a point I'd feel better about taking over while having another baby. She had a GREAT year, but still - even she mentioned homeschooling (she's gotten to know a lot of families and friends doing it. She may not know fully what it is - but her asking makes me feel good about trying it and it being a family decision). Funny thing is that baby #3 came along pretty quickly too (Gift) - but blessedly for me, my desire to homeschool (wait...can I really admit the desire I had by this point? Yep...I think I can!) didn't wane. I was making friends in the co-op and seeing them and my neighbor homeschool with young kids kept my confidence up. Wee ones or not, we are going to give this a real shot!!

So, we find ourselves here...on the cusp of our first official year. I think all parents home school - those teachable moments, time together - it's schooling, in the home. Adding academics and life skills and new ways of thinking just makes it more official.

I still don't know what I'm doing. I'm doing a little of everything to figure it out. My sister has been a great resource as an Early Childhood teacher. I have my neighbor and my co-op and so many supportive friends. I will figure this out, step by step. I have started the book ordering process for homeschooling. I'll be taking a classical approach to learning (something Lovely and I both seem to learn from style wise) along with embracing other methods (Montessori, Waldorf based learning from Serendipity - especially for little Valiant as I work with her too - even at her age), Faber for music, and some Suzuki in music as well. I have a feeling we'll do a lot of "unschooling" as well! I just can't wait to give this a go. I like trying different methods because we're not all cut one way. My girls are into books, but they love imaginative play, fairy tales, and music. I also am seeing Lovely is quite the artist. So, I have a multi-faceted child(ren) and need to do different learning. We also want to include our faith and values. Just listing all that exhausts me....what am I getting into? LOL!! But, it's also been fun looking up places I want to take Lovely to for field trips and pricing passes, etc. I'm praying this is for us and we both enjoy it. So, that is a start and very small success I'm adding to this coming week.

Links that I have found helpful in our multi-faceted learning are: Why We Homeschool, an article by Sarah Reinhard about taking the plunge, About Homeschooling, Montessori, Suzuki, Waldorf, Montessori based Good Shepherd, Classical learning.

So, here we are - about to homeschool. I can't wait to blend faith, academics, family time, explorations, and discoveries together. I expect lots of great moments, and...well...struggles too. Maybe tears from me as well as 'mile wide' smiles. It's all in the tagline of my blog, under my title. It's going to be one heck of a ride - wanna join us on it?

In that vein - here are some pics from some adventures this summer in learning. I have some more, but I need to upload them. Below are some fun moments digging for "fossils" and exploring with the sisters...







PRAY for us. Pray for me. Blessings!

** I'm tired, a little sick, and well..tired. Please excuse any typos or fragments. I proofread this and I still know I missed things. I just needed to add my disclaimer!

7 comments:

  1. I''m so excited for you and Lovely, and will definitely be following along. BTW as another mom of a two year I love the idea of looking for the teachable moments in our days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read more about your homeschooling adventure. I really can't wait to hear what curriculum you go with and how you like it. It's very possible that I may be homeschooling my girls after this upcoming school year. I'm already trying to sort out what type of curriculum I should use. For now I'm trying to discern if this is what we should be doing. The important part for me is that I finally have my husband on board after 6 years of trying to convince him that I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy, Hey Karen! Thanks for stopping by!! Both of you are so sweet in your comments.

    Karen - I'm not using one set curriculum. I'm picking and choosing. Many are suggested by "The Well Trained Mind":

    http://www.welltrainedmind.com/

    so they are developed by Susan Wise Bauer. There's a lot of Charlotte Mason in there, and I plan on enriching our material learning with lots of method exposure, field trips, art, music, and physical activity.

    I'm using mainstream sources like Singapore Math and Math U See (thanks to S for this recommendation!), Handwriting Without Tears, and our state's resources as well as books from Kolbe, Seton, and Rod and Staff. I also linked above to many of the sites I'll refer to as well.

    It felt better to me to try different sources, and it hasn't been hard to order from each website/publisher differently. I'm following the lead of many in our co-op so Lovely can share her experiences with materials the days she attends classes with them. It feels good to be pulling from many sources to school us together.

    I wish you luck in your discernment - it's hard to decide on, and remember, you homeschool as a FAMILY - not just you. You need support and a "co-teammate or teacher" in your husband. It was the best advice from my friend who inspired this process 3 years ago. So keep talking to him and see what his ideas are and what support he'll give you (a break, his teachable moments, getting out of the house, adult time for you, etc.). It helps with preventing burnout and keeps you inspired. Though I say all this without doing it officially...but as a former classroom teacher - I can see how valid it sounds!

    Keep me posted!
    Much love and blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - and Explode the Code in addition to my other Grammer materials, and using websites like Enchanted Learning, etc. There are lots of things to try and explore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you the best as your start on this journey! Be patient with yourself. I think the first year is truly a learning year. I felt like it was one big experiment. There were things I thought I'd love and ended up hating and vice versa. It's a work in progress.

    Have you checked out The Well Trained Mind forums? http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/

    There is lots of great info there. Also, check out Oak Meadow if you're interested in Waldorf. I'm using the complete curriculum for my 8 y/o and I'm using OM Science and History for my 10 y/o. I love it.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new blog!! what a great idea! I hope to "meet" other homeschooling Mom's on here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the well-trained mind We used it from grade 4 on. You going to love it! Happy Learning!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!