Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Small Successes and Thankful Thursday: "Prepping to Homeschool" Edition

FaithButton


I figured since I can't sleep again (this time because of congestion, not a racing mind like the below post) I'd recall some successes here on my new home school page as I have not really done much else in my regular life - aside from getting the kids out of the house in the heat yesterday - I've been attempting at figuring out the ropes for schooling in our home. Also, in posting here, maybe I'll get some ideas from other home schoolers on future successes?

1. Books are starting to arrive. I should have done this before baby Gift arrived, but I didn't, so getting them ordered finally is a success! I'm getting my books from different places, so it has been taking a little longer.

2. I got my links and online materials organized and in a place I can use them quickly for planning/sharing. There are so many resources out there. I wonder if I'm not overdoing to? Will I actually follow through on my ideas and these resources? She's only seven, but my mind is racing at the possibilities we can do....I'm probably over excited.

3. I went supply shopping - got notebooks, pencils, pens, storage items, etc. I got a notebook/planner for me - but I need to get binders for all of Lovely's subject areas. How did I forget that?

Still left to do? Lesson plan....eeek! I feel overwhelmed. Excited...but really overwhelmed in that area. I also need to do more work in our learning room (pics in a post below).

As always...tips or ideas welcome...and more importantly  - how are you? How were you a success this week?

Thankful Thursday
This week I am thankful for....

1. my friend Kris and her sharing her precious family time with me this week to plan and learn some paperwork/program tricks.
2. neti pots!!!!!!
3. good websites and blogs to look at.
4. NAPS!
5. patience.
6. The support of family and friends.
7. the gifts of inspiration and excitement for mental, emotional and spiritual fuel.

Thanks for reading.

9 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB! I'm so happy for you as you begin this wonderful homeschooling adventure. I just LOVE the planning stages & getting new materials.

    BTW - That "Chuckle for Your Day" photo of Gift is just priceless. He's such an adorable chunk of a guy & I'll bet you can't get enough of smooching those cheeks! I know that's all I'd be able to do :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new look of the blog. Very cute! Congrats on getting ANYTHING done with a baby in the picture! Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud you and Homeschooling. It is something we 'joke' around about but not anything we think we can do.

    Good Luck and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your successes are making me excited about school! And I don't have any kids in school yet! I hope that by the time they are old enough, I will be able to quit my part-time job and homeschool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing a GREAT job!
    So excited for you...and have I told you how very much I LOVE the pic of you and your beloved in the sidebar? SOOOOO beautiful and SUCH love shining through!

    There are always more good ideas than there is time or ability to carry them out...not to worry...it all balances out...and with prayer, the Lord will lead you to focus on the ideas that He wills for your sweet family in the moment!

    HAVE FUN! Can't wait to scroll down and see the learning room photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a wealth of resources! I need to put The Well Trained Mind on my reading list, as well as some Charlotte Mason. Whether we end up homeschooling or using our church's school, either would build upon the Classical Education model.

    ReplyDelete
  7. woo-hoo! I know that planning and organizing for school is a BIG thing so great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! You're well on your way to homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is hard when you're tired and can't sleep. I hope that Gift's schedule works out to fit yours. As for me I'm up due to an unavoidable nap and that it's too hot in here to sleep, blek.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!