Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Are you a Worker or a Queen?


LOL - if I had to answer this, I'd say I know what my daughter THINKS she is...haha!

One thing I love about homeschooling, and the age Lovely is, is that lessons can just pop up and we can toss the lesson plan aside and jump into the teachable moment. Last week, on a day that science wasn't "scheduled" and the topic something totally different than planned, we had a moment pop up.

We had decided to do our learning outside on the patio and when she had settled down, she found a dead bee floating in some water. She used her bug tweezers to handle it, and we just dove in to study.

As she peered at the bee, I thumbed through her science book and found a section on bees and I read to her as she looked at the bee and sketched the bee and what she was hearing me read. I loved how she turned the "B" of "Bee" into a bee. I think we spent over a hour talking Bees. She was delighted. We talked about plants, pollen, royal jelly, behaviors, seasons, etc. (Today that was repeated, as we found another bee this morning, so we reviewed what we had learned and studied the wings on this bee. I have a neighbor who tends bees, so I'm going to see about visiting them for a little tour of their hives).We then had lunch, and Lovely of COURSE wanted Honey on her sandwich.

Hey there Bee!
The start of her sketching
Honey!
making her sandwich
YUM!! "Beeeee-licious!" haha!
So...are you a worker, or a queen.....BEE? :)

And, here are a couple of captures of little Val enjoying a day at home with us. She enjoys her toddler kits (and her pink tutu bathing suit) and we also are working on her colors too.



Teachable moments? Bring. Them. ON!!

3 comments:

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!