Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Woesy

So, I promised I'd talk about the rosey and woesy (lol - yes, my own special spellings of those words, just run with it...) on this blog. Lately, I've been woesy. I've been under the weather. We've had to miss a field trip, a home school "day", and apparently, a day of co-op. It was a bummer. Lovely wasn't too bummed as she really didn't know when things would be happening (aside from co-op), but I was.

Being under the weather as the main home school parent is frustrating. Whatever bug or allergy I've had, I'm so tired - and it's been dragging on longer than a few days, so anything above and beyond glorified book work is not happening, and I feel like a loser. I feel I'm not doing what we wanted  - why we decided to home school in the first place. This has gone on about 2 weeks. Granted, I also have an infant, so that doesn't help the 'resting up'.

Lovely is a champ, and she IS learning - I just miss doing "more". Like baking flat bread to bring the Hebrew and other ancient Mesopotamian cultures to life (along with working with measurements and fractions in cooking, and life skills with the prep and clean up), or bringing some Feast days to life too. Sunday I spent ALL day in bed, which helped, so I've had more energy this week. I'm hoping to get to the baking tomorrow or Friday.

We HAVE had some magic moments. In her Ignatius Speaks and Writes, we've been studying different types of sentences - Declarative, Interrogative, Imperative, Exclamatory. We were doing something unrelated, maybe in science, and I asked her "Why do you think _____ would do this?". Before she answered the question, she just looked at me and said "Hey! Mommy! That is an interrogative sentence!"  AMEN!!! Just the perfect medicine for this tired momma. I certainly wasn't thinking that way! (Wow! Now I'm doing all exclamatory sentences lol!!)

Another boost (well, for ME, but not for area kids) today: we went to visit our neighborhood school. We went to return some things to Lovely's kindergarten teacher, and visit old friends from last year. It was SO nice to see her old teacher (she was the BEST). I noticed the room was totally different. I mentioned it, and she said her classroom needed the change as her #'s went up. When Lovely was in her class, there were 17 students. Now, her teacher has 24. I do believe they got rid of a kindergarten class - but our teacher was pretty honest about the change and how much she missed the past. Our county has also disbanded the class size quota - so classes can be larger than they used to be because of budget cuts and such. Our school also lost some major funding due to changing demographics. Also, they have had to limit use of the playground recently (which was already a rarity) because of a student fall and arm breakage - to protect the school. It's just a shame. It made me feel blessed we can do what we are doing, at home, but my heart aches for the other kids. My mind keeps coming back to Waiting for "Superman" and how can I be a source of change for our schools for ALL our kids, not just mine....

Anyways...woe, woe, woe...just wanted to be honest with some issues of late. But, I can see a bit of rose in my glasses from the last few days. It isn't all gray. I hope to report soon with some stuff that brings the mojo back!

Love, love love....

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you're able to confront the not-so-good days and share them with us. Isn't it great to see how she's still learning through it all? Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you share the Woesy days, too. I think that's very important for people who are considering this path or for others who are sharing our journey but feel inadequate because of the blogs out there that make it sound like homeschooling is...what's that saying?..."A fairy tale land where unicorns eat butterflies and fart rainbows." Something like that. My 15 y/o son could get it exactly right because it's one of his favorite sayings. Boys...

    Homeschooling is wonderful, but it can also be challenging. Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!