Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Homeschool Mom's Journal



.I'm a new follower and reader of Sue at The Homeschool Chick and I'm so excited she is sharing so many wonderful ideas and creating a community for homeschooling families to come together on! I'm thrilled to take part in this Friday-Sunday meme about the ups and downs of homeschooling. I look forward to doing this weekly in time. I've needed something to help me journal here! I hope more of you join in!!! Also...if you scroll down my sidebar, I've added some buttons that lead back to Sue's pet projects of support!


In my life this week…
     Well - this week I have been dealing with various stages of sickness. I've been mildly dealing with a sore throat, and now our youngest daughter (who was supposed to have her 2 year old end of preschool program tomorrow) has a fever. I was supposed to go to see a dear friend, but she is sick as well - so in a way - it all worked out. This weekend we will focus on rest!!

In our homeschool this week…
      We are wrapping up our 1st year! I can't believe it! We ended today because I thought tomorrow would be busy at Valiant's school program, but the fever changed things. So, we'll just start vacation early! We could use it. We're not fully stopping homeschooling this summer, I have plans. You can read about them here

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
      For the next week, we are staying close to home - but we will hit up places like a local play gym, state parks, hike, watch movies, nap, and read! We may see friends, but otherwise, we could just have a "staycation" for a few days.

My favorite thing this week was…
     Seeing Lovely's excitement for learning, even knowing the thrill of summer vacation was just around the corner. 

What’s working/not working for us…
     In reflecting on our 1st year (which will probably be a post of its own) I would say what worked for us this year was our fantastic materials that came on the recommendation of "The Well Trained Mind". I loved all our materials and the challenge. We spent the whole year on some books that usually are semester books, but that may be because I assessed Lovely more advanced than she was. This was in her reading, and in Singapore Math. Now, I did a lot of the activities in the reader, so that lengthened its use, and when doing Singapore Math, I was stretch out the lessons, and create more reviews, than the text and activity book had. We will actually go into the summer with math so we can do Level 2A in the fall. We started this past fall in 1B. Our phonics book was also a "B" book (meant to last all year - MCP Phonics) and I really liked the materials, but they were a challenge for Lovely to read, but I think they really helped her learn with me. I also got behind on our Charlotte Mason dictation and writing - but we will continue that this summer. I hope to really hone in on these areas next fall!
     
     Highlights of this year also included working outside, nature hikes on a whim, art class, gymnastics and taekwondo, and being together as a family. I loved being a part of all the lightbulb moments! Other highlights have been improved parenting skills, me working on my patience, and Lovely and I learning to work together and like it. I feel very blessed in that area, so far...  


Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
     I would love for anyone to chime in on this post. Do you have any opinions on k12, staying on track, etc?  


A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

Spelling Games!

I look forward to meeting so many of you!!! Thanks Sue!

8 comments:

  1. WHOOHOOO!! Congrats to you and your babies for making it through Year One! You sound SO much more easy about it than I did... I fretted for the entire month we took off for summer worrying about whether or not we'd covered enough of the right material... Kudos to you, girl!!

    I wish I had some advice about k12 for you, I don't. I, very slightly, checked into them several years ago and decided that I wasn't a huge fan... but that was a couple of years ago and I couldn't tell you a thing about them today!

    By the way you have a beautiful family... I can't get over your little boy's smile under 'A Chuckle for Your Day'-- SO ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! I'm fretting! Just making up for it by schooling a little this summer to make me feel better about it...ha!

    It is a pleasure to meet you and I can't wait to go read your experiences with schooling. Thanks SO much for your helpful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on finishing your first year!! we are finishing our 8th, i can't believe it! have a wonderful summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a good year. Congrats on completing it.

    Enjoy your out and about activities next week.

    We also follow some of the ideas in WTM.

    Will follow you.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a full staycation for a week some time ago...we decorated like a beach house and vowed to be completely "unplugged" except for movies on vhs or dvd and music when we wanted...we cooked out...played games...sat on the porch, took hikes in our woods...and the kids still say it was their best "vacation" ever! So happy that your first year of homeschooling has been such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the first year finish! You'll feel so much more confident next year, and enjoy it more too.

    I'm headed over to your other post now because we actually use K12 an independent homeschoolers; this is our second year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing the first year. We do year round school with breaks built in and I love how freeing that was to no longer be stressed to "have everything wrapped up in May!"...Glad to read you like the Well Trained Mind Book...I just got it to use this new school year coming up. Love reading the good feedback on it as it makes me feel that I made a good choice. My daughter is 7 and my others are 4 and 1 and i have 2 boys that are 10 (twins)...love your "you've been schooled" motto! Stopping by from Sue's homeschool mother's journal linky. come over to Brighton Park and say hello! katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on first yr and Beautiful children.
    http://www.estop4.com/apps/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!