Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Friday, March 4, 2011

New Art Class

Art is such an important part of learning. It is also a strength of Lovely's, and while we do our own home art studies, Lovely wants more, and other teachers in her life last year commented she needed more guidance and learning from a professional if we could do it. We enjoyed our 1st semester location (a drawing class), but I wanted a something more rounded, but nearby our home. We found the perfect place that opened at the start of the semester. The teacher is wonderful, we're supporting a local business and artist, and the location is perfect. I love her lesson plans and goals for the class. Lovely is THRIVING. 

Here Lovely poses with her teacher and her cave painting which was done on the wall.

This was their cave fire, where they learned how the earliest artists got their painting materials from ash, etc.
Her teacher is so accommodating. One of her class times worked best for me, but no one had signed up for it. Her teacher said "No problem! Lovely gets my undivided attention!" How awesome! In the last 2 weeks, another girl has joined this class time - but Lovely really enjoyed that special time, and still does with her new friend!

Ms. L's plan centers around either an artist, or type of art. They learn the history together, the characteristics of the art, the artist (if possible) and do an example of the art as the artist would have. Then, the children do their own version of the particular art or genre. It is fantastic! 

Though I love educating at home, I love being able to take Lovely to a place to get an education suited to her needs, skills, and challenge - something we just didn't have time for previously or could be given to her at school. I don't mind sharing the home educating job!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!