Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Trying to post!

Hey There!

I am so behind on logging in our past month's work. I promise to get here ASAP. It seems when I take time to focus on the home/family, blogging goes out the window but I really want to log our highs and lows since mid April.

Quick question - does anyone have experience with the K12 program for homeschoolers? Many states have it, and offer it free through virtual home academies, etc. I've learned they use many of the sources I use, except they provide them all free to the family (it counts as public school - so I get to use my own tax dollars). Yes....there is more structure involved, but I have heard it is getting more flexible. Anyone want to chime in? I love they use so many "Well Trained Mind" and Charlotte Mason techniques.  Also, many of their explorations herald back to Waldorf. I feel like I'm getting courted and I want to research it....

Also, a quick comment on our summer plans. I am going into Waldorf country! We will be starting (and overlapping as we finish in the fall) with Along the Alphabet Path from Elizabeth Foss' Serendipity site. I'm looking forward to bringing my family together for learning this summer! We'll do this a little every day - probably in the hottest hours of the day when they can't be outside or at the pool, etc and the baby is napping.

How is your school year wrapping up?

7 comments:

  1. I briefly looked at the K12 program but ultimately decided I didn't want to be accountable to the state. A friend of a friend uses it with her son and really likes it. She said there is a lot of record keeping, though, and the amount of time he is required to spend on school seemed high to me, given that homeschooled kids usually accomplish twice as much in half the time.

    That said, depending on what we decide to do re: education as our kids get older, I might look at it for high school. Our district actually offers a virtual program (not K12, and I can't remember what they use) that allows the kids to go to school for one or two classes, so they can take an elective or two at school or go to school for core subjects that might be difficult to teach at home. It's nice that the kids can have part of the traditional experience (prom, graduation, etc.), yet have the wonderful homeschool experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    Melanie - you hit the nail on the head why I've waffled on k12 (I looked at it last year and ultimately passed on it to make my own curriculum) because I did not want to answer to the state. That said, I've waffled on that because of eventually needing the state to have some of records anyways as we near middle school and eventually wanting an accredited diploma from middle/high school. I'm still REALLY torn on making the decision.
    Also, I joined a VERY ACTIVE FB page for the k12 program I would be in, and asked a ton of tough questions and learned that they are pretty flexible, and the computer requirements are not what they used to be (for my state). People seem to be promising me that aside from having a teacher checking in with me, they are not too invasive and I can do as much, or as little, on the computer as I want. I can also do 4 day school weeks, and I even asked about deciding on a whim to go to a park or the woods for learning - could I do that...and the answers were all yes. So...I am intrigued.

    The pros are the planning and project ideas would be done for me. Since our state also requires we do standardized testing (YUCK!) this would be done for me as well, and I don't have to teach to the test. I feel like with 2 younger babies, the structure would keep me on task as well. Also, the amazing materials sent to me...wow. Oh - and they use many of the books I already like and used this year.

    My con list - well, it is your list. I am soo torn!

    I wish this was an easy decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all...thanks for all the sweet comments you left on my blog today! It's great to hear from you again...I've missed you :)

    We used K12 through the Ohio Virtual Academy last year for both older boys. One of my reasons for choosing them was that I was hoping I would be able to keep on track better if held accountable. But, it seemed like a lot of work for them & much of The Prophet's 3rd grade work was learning how to take the standardized tests our state requires. (I've heard a lot of public school teachers complain that much of their teaching is toward the tests, so I guess that's all over the state.) He hated it & was happy to go back to using Catholic Heritage Curricula this year.

    There were several reasons we decided not to continue this year. One, I felt like a lot of our faith-based lessons got pushed aside to make sure we finished the school requirements. Second, I knew that it would be tough w/ The Princess entering Kindergarten, to have 3 munchkins enrolled at the same time.

    That being said, I did like their Trivium approach since we'd already done two years of The Well-Trained Mind. We didn't have to use the lesson plans exactly & could change what days we studied certain subjects. I also liked the teacher support. They were there if we needed them, but not overbearing & intrusive.

    The Archangel really liked the program & has been asking to do it again. After doing some research, I found Connections Academy which has the highest online school rating here in Ohio (& I've heard they are highly ranked around the country). They will work w/ families & make sure the students are in the right level (whether they are gifted or need an IEP). They also have some clubs for students to join (art, music, writing, robotics, science, etc.)

    We will still have to follow the public school & state guidelines & I have explained that he will probably have a lot more work to do. It might actually be good for him w/ his ADHD / aggression issues. Maybe having him kept on task through someone other than me might help him.

    I know it's not an easy decision & we've struggled w/ whether it is best for us right now. If it doesn't work out, we can always withdraw & go back to our own lessons.

    WOW! Sorry to go so long! Hugs & prayers as you decide which path to take!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys SO much for giving me fodder to post on the page. I'm asking for candor in response to your concerns, and I'm getting honest answers about testing...I don't love what I'm hearing. Maybe we will stick to what we've done so far...I love what we have done....I just wanted more help with planning and record keeping....and accreditation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok...trying again.

    I totally get the appeal of having the planning and project ideas done for you. When I started HSing, I thought I would love the flexibility of choosing what to teach when. I thought I would love the ability to come up with cool enrichment projects. In reality, I often found the responsibility of it all a little overwhelming. It's the main reason I ended up buying Oak Meadow curriculum this year as opposed to rolling my own like I did last year. I love having everything all planned out for me, including supply lists for projects.

    re: record keeping and accreditation...are those things you need to be concerned about right now or could you keep doing what you're doing and wait until middle school to start thinking about that? OK doesn't require any record keeping and I don't keep any. I know where my children are in terms of their progress and I know what I've taught them. Since I never have to show any kind of records to anyone, I don't stress myself out with keeping them. I know all states are different, though.

    Just some rambling thoughts. My comment that got lost was better written, but it was earlier in the day and my brain was actually working. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but we've used K12 as independents for two years now. We do not go the virtual public school route. I've got several posts on K12, our thoughts, and other info.

    K12 Overview - http://sweetphenomena.com/2011/03/k12-overview/

    More thoughts and what we're using next year - http://sweetphenomena.com/2011/03/our-2011-12-4th-grade-curriculum/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie...thanks SO much for your GREAT post! @ Tiffany...thank you. I'll be going to visit it.

    Melanie, we were NOT going to do the k12 program because of all the reason you mentioned were weighing on me. What tipped the scales in K12's favor to TRY it was learning that Lovely doesn't have to take the state required "label" test this year in 2nd grade. I still have to test her, but I can do the ITBS (my preferred choice if I HAVE to test..grrrr on testing). So, I decided that was a sign we could try it on its merits (not testing prep) and see if we like it, and if not...withdraw and go back to what we were doing before. The free materials would just be so helpful to our budget this coming year.

    @ Tiffany...I'm heading to read your links. Thanks!!

    Thanks Melanie!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!