Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Small Successes - "We've started Homeschooling!" Edition!

FaithButton


I can't believe it is finally here. And while I can't report many successes around my home here, I can report we got the ball rolling and are figuring out our homeschooling routine on this page.

1. We had our first day. It was a GREAT first day, one I didn't plan on, and one she never would have had in mainstream schooling. So, it was such a win/win for me!

2. We are following our tentative schedule. So far, so good - but I am learning how to be flexible - and the joy in that flexibility. We've done things on different days, or broken up the schedule. I love that so far, we are both liking this. I'd actually use the word love. I know the tough days are coming - so I cling to days like yesterday. Here are some pictures of what we did:

a little teaching game (idea from the teaching manual) to teach double consonant words that end in "ed" and "ing" When cut up, I could mix up the parts and Lovely had to construct the words and consonants.

cut up and ready to go!
Building words


She actually enjoyed it!

3. I made it out, alone, with all 3 kids on a field trip to a local indoor/outdoor history museum this past Monday. They had a Home School Day and opened their doors for free. We explored both the lives of early peoples (which fit great in her ancient history work), pioneer life (which brings to life some of our reading books on Little House) and some fun trivia to see (a fancy 1930s mansion and a exhibit on summer Olympic sports which will be great to revisit when we look at Greece). It was a great trip!!!

Learning to use an early drill.

Lovely using the drill with an arrow head tip

Looking at pioneer artifacts like a slate, and yarn making materials.

The girls heading to a Victorian playhouse for children. Cool! It had real rooms and was built just as a house was at the time!

Another playhouse for children on the grounds - what fun for them!!! Rooms and all!

enjoying the portico of the mansion
Looking at the fountains on the grounds of the 1930s mansion.

So strong!

bike race anyone?

Houston - we have a rower!

He did great! Just hung out!

It's been a great start! Thanks for the advice, prayers, and ideas!!!!!

How are your successes?

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your great week. I'm glad you're enjoying your homeschool journey so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I hope homeschooling continues to bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're off to a GREAT start! We got delayed due to illnesses, so I'm really hoping to start on Monday. I LOVE that mini Victorian house!

    The narration ideas I posted about on my blog can definitely be used for 6 & 7 yr. olds. We did Story of the World 1 & 2. DS got tired of just dictating to me all the time & even though he's going into 4th gr. this year, he's still not a strong writer (we're working on it!). So, building Legos, drawing pictures, etc. were great options for him. If you Google "narration ideas" you'll find TONS of great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled that the field trip went well I struggle with a trip to Wal-Mart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great week. I find learning to be flexible is a constant work in progress! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start! Way to be flexible! That field trip looks like so much fun - I bet you will all remember that for quite awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I'm proud of you! And proud of Gift for being so laid back! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Job Mama! Your on your way. Enjoy it. It's going to change your life. Blessings and Grace my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Gift's face squished up in the carrier. Great job on a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!