Recording both the the "rosey" and "wosey" of home educating our 7 year old FULL time, having teachable moments with our 2 year old SOME time, while holding a baby ALL the time. Is it summer break yet?!!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Where I've been....

Well, perhaps the lack of updates is that we have jumped in, head first, to home schooling. So far, SO good.

Lovely reports home school is "harder" than her old school, but that she likes it. We seem to be getting by any barriers thus far with our relationship intact. We've had two field trips already, with another scheduled to help showcase her ancient history study of Sumer and Egypt in the next week or so, and we LOVE the library. We're starting to branch from just covering the core subjects as we find a routine and pace, and working on doing more with copy work and narration and "Writing with Ease."

Her math focus has been word problems with addition and subtraction, and while she is good with figuring out the problems with manipulatives after making the problem - making sure she is confident in figuring out what they ask is something we're working on - way more than the chapter in her book (ok, that was not good sentence structure - haha!). In grammar she is working on words ending in 'ed' and 'ing'. I have a game for us to do tomorrow to help bring the lesson alive and put words together to understand them better.

We played catch up this week with narration in history and science (we did the core work last week, but I didn't want to press her too much as we established our new relationship) and as I said above, we'll start doing more with general reading and writing too with narration and copy work.

I'll try and take some pics to record some of her school work (drawings, games, etc) so she has a feel of them being shown somewhere lol (and for me to remember them long after I've run out of storage room in her notebooks).

Oye - I'm up too late! I did some pumping so I could freeze some more milk and got caught up in looking for online sites for math and grammar, as well as blogs! This teacher needs to head to bed.  Also, sorry for the "listy" feel of this entry. When I have the brain power I'd love to do a better flowing narrative. Until then, this article my friend K sent me puts a lot of my feelings into flowing words:

Deciding to Home School

Have you started yet? Any stories from the front?

Hugs!

1 comment:

  1. We are easing into homeschooling. He's in K, so it's no rush! We love it so far. We do lessons a little bit throughout the day. We are both enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!!