We've been having a good couple of days so far. Monday was a rough day though. It took us WAY longer than normal to get through our work. In fact, our days have been getting longer and longer each day. If all our activities were enriching or captivating, then that would be a great thing! But, it was more that skills and worksheets were taking longer and longer. Doable, but a growing concern on my radar. I like getting to the application of learning as well!
Lovely loves learning, but dislikes writing it all out. She prefers drawing what she's learned, telling me, or doing an activity. She definitely is the child I know - one who learns from MANY methods of learning. She likes the worksheets (she loves her math ones) but I'm figuring out the writing slows her down (she writes pretty well, but she does lots of phonics, grammar, and reading comprehension - so the writing adds up and I think tires her out). She starts out excited, but then wears out as she sees the next review sheet coming. I asked for some tips from another co-op mom that is doing similar learning styles, and she suggested that some of the language arts work could be given orally - so I can give her a break on the constant writing. I tried it today, and it worked like a charm. I could even leave Lovely for longer periods doing independent work vs me having to be her constant cheerleader. I wanted to share that in case it helped anyone. I'm lucky she loves doing this (and changing from mainstream school) but I was worried the way things were going, she could get frustrated, blame me, or become unhappy. I'm thrilled things went well today, and we could do enrichment activities and had time for some presentations of other methods!!
(BTW, I'm always ready for tips teacher friends!)
Below are some pics from the last few days. We also did a weekend trip to the zoo (for the 1st time in a few years). It was great for Lovely's science unit on animals! It was also an Educator's Day, so there were lots of learning presentations and information! We're loving our homeschool adventure so far - (yep - like my tagline - the woesy and rosey and all lol).
 |
| Getting our calendar set up. |
 |
| All it needs is the month and year! |
 |
| working on some telling time skills with out hands on clock and a little brainpopjr.com |
 |
| working on her history - map skills and coloring page for Ancient Egypt |
 |
| doing a floor puzzle on sea animals |
 |
| At the zoo - checking out the flamingos - and what affects their coloring. |
 |
| Lovely was our map reader - good map reading skills! |
 |
| Wow - gorillas like water! |
 |
| Checking out the elephants before they went to eat. |
 |
| cute statue. |
 |
| another cute statue! |
 |
| The Komodo Dragon sees you.... |
 |
| Look carefully - this is basically a large, fancy version of the flying city pigeon! Who knew!! |
 |
| Hi Timone! |
 |
| One of the best reasons to home school - bonding together!! |
How are things in your school?
I was meaning to call and see how things went- so glad the "orally" suggestion worked!! Just remember it's your first year, and you'll be tweaking all year as you get more into it. It's a process....!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad it's going well for you!
ReplyDeleteBean is only one, but I'm trying to set aside time each day to do purposefully educational activities (repeating words, counting songs, body parts like nose and ears). He seems to enjoy it, which makes me hopeful for when I start homeschooling him in a few years!
Looks like a great week!
ReplyDelete